CoE-MaSS Research Seminar Series
The following CoE-MaSS weekly research seminars are scheduled over the next few weeks:
· Friday, 23 September – Dr Alfred Bogaers (Council for Scientific and Industrial Research) “Efficient and robust partitioned solution schemes for fluid-structure interactions”
· Friday, 30 September – Dr Francesco Russo (University of Cape Town)
· Friday, 07 October – Dr Michael Chapwanya (University of Pretoria) (POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE DUE TO PROTESTS)
· Friday, 14 October – Prof Bruce Watson (University of the Witwatersrand) (POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE DUE TO PROTESTS)
- Friday 28 October - Prof Tapio Westerlund from Abo Akademi University, Finland. His seminar is entitled “Aspects on Solving Convex and Non-Convex MINLP Problems”.
- Monday 14 November - Prof Paul Binging, Universities of Calgary and Victoria. His seminar is entitled “Introduction to the p-Laplacian”.
- Friday 10 February 2017 - Dr Alfred Boagers, CSIR. His seimnar is entitled "Efficient and robust partitioned solution schemes for fluid-structures interactions"
- Applicants are invited to apply for Post-Doctoral Fellowships in Scientometrics / Bibliometrics or Research Evaluation at CREST in Stellenbosch.
- The International Mathematical Union Committee for Women in Mathematics (CWM) invites applicants to apply for supplementary grants.
- Applicants are invited to apply for a Post-Doctoral Fellowship within the programme of Collaborative Mathematical Research (CRM). The deadline to submit an application is Saturday, 15th October 2016. Advert.
- COE-MaSS bursaries call now open: advert Postgraduate students or Post-doctoral fellows must be registered/hosted at one of our twelve CoE-MaSS Founding or Collaborating Partner Node Universities in 2017. Please note that the deadline for the receipt of all 2017 applications (bursaries or fellowships) is strictly Friday, 25 November 2016; 3pm (local time is GMT+2). Should you have any questions during the application process, please do not hesitate to contact us with your query (Mr Shashilan Singh; CoE-MaSS@wits.ac.za; 011 717 6161)
- Applicants are invited to apply for a Post-Doctoral Fellowship in Data Science. Closing dates for applications: 15 February 2017. Advert
Conferences - The South African Mathematical Sciences Association(SAMSA) Annual Conference will be hosted by the University of Pretoria from the 21 – 24 November 2016. The deadline for abstract submissions is imminent. For more information please refer to the 2nd call.
- The 8th International Conference on Information Science and Applications (ICISA) 2017 will take place on the 20th – 23rd March 2017 in Macau, China. The deadline for paper submissions is Tuesday, 15th November 2016. Flyer.
- Big Data Africa Summer School: The Big Data Africa Summer School will take place in Cape Town, from 2 – 12 April 2017. Flyer
Young Science Communicators Competition
The Young Science Communicators Competition for 2017 is presented by the South African Agency for Science and Technology Advancement (SAASTA). Please circulate this advertisement to all of your postgraduate students within your respective Schools. Flyer.
Mathematics in Industry Study Group South Africa (MISG-SA 2017)
Save The Date for the upcoming MISG in Cape Town in January. More information about registration will be circulated as soon as it is available.
Wits University Inaugural Lecture The inaugural lecture of Prof Florian Luca (NRF A-rated) from the School of Mathematics, Wits University, Johannesburg will take place on Tuesday, 13 September 2016. His lecture is entitled “On the numbers 1, 3, 8, 120 and other Diophantine sets”. The invitation refers. This lecture will not be available via Vidyo.