Application for Membership
Please note that SASA does not issue any membership certificates/numbers or proof of membership.
Membership with SASA is open to all individuals and bodies having an interest in the goals of the Association. Applications for membership of the South African Statistical Association are considered by the Executive Committee of the Association.
The Association has four membership categories:
- Ordinary Membership: Any individual having an interest in the mission and goals of the Association.
- Affiliated Membership: Open to companies, societies and other organisations having an interest in the aims of the Association.
- Senior Membership: Any member who has reached the age of 65 and who was a member for the 10 preceding years before turning 65, may apply for senior membership of the Association.
- Student Membership: Any registered student having an interest in the mission and goals of the Association. Your name in this case will not appear on our website as a member of SASA.
New members can register here.
Membership lasts from 1 January to 31 December. Except for Student membership, which is granted on an annual basis, membership is automatically renewed by payment of membership fees before 30 June each year. These membership fees are:
- Ordinary Member: R 300,00 (14% VAT included)
- Affiliate Member: R 500,00 (14% VAT included)
- Senior Member: R 130,00 (14% VAT included)
- Student Member: Free (student membership is free from 2015 onwards for students up to and including Masters studies who are registered full-timeas a student at a South African instiution i.e. working a maximum of 12 hours a week. That doctoral students will need to register as ordinary members.)
Members living abroad
Members who wish to pay in US dollars can do so by mailing the treasurer the relevant amount with a cheque. In this case members can pay 2 years or 3 years in advance to save on bank fees (no single year membership payable in US dollars, please.) These membership fees are:
- Two-year membership: US$ 75,00
- Three-year membership: US$ 110,00
The membership fee for Ordinary, Senior and Affiliate membership includes subscription to the SASA newsletter (4 per annum) and the SASA Journal (2 per annum). An "Affiliated membership" also means that two delegates can attend the conference at the reduced fee for the conference of that year (same fee as an ordinary member). The membership fee for Student membership includes subscription to the SASA newsletter only (4 per annum). Student membership does not imply qualification for reduced conference fees or any benefits ordinary members would have.
Fees are revised annually at the Annual General Meeting. To avoid unnecessary correspondence and delays in registration, it is recommended that you join online and pay the registration fees at the same time. To register please follow use the link on the top right hand side of the website.
Direct payment into SASA account
You may pay you membership fees directly into the SASA bank account:
Account Name: SASA (South African Statistical Association)
Branch: Stellenbosch (Branch code: 632005)
Account number: 0520 146 660 (cheque account)
SWIFT ADDRESS: ABSAZAJJ
Please remember to fax or email the receipt of payment to Lizanne Raubenheimer, Fax Number +27(0)46 603 7555 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The receipt must contain your full name and the type of membership. If it is for new membership the reference section of the receipt must contain your surname e.g. 'RAUBENHEIMER'.